Variations on Furry’s Quick Stove Comfort Burger
Below is a basic recipe that I use for when I have to put something together quickly that qualifies as comfort food for the odd occasion when you know that a dish can lift the spirits of a despondent guest.
The amounts of spices can and should be severely altered based on your palette and those fo your guests. There are also a couple of options included as to the ingredients based on what’s available at your grocers/butchers or to specifically cater to your taste.
- 450g Lean Ground Beef (if possible 80% lean)
- 450g Ground Lean Pork
- 150g ground Brisket AND OR Ground Bacon
- 1/3 cup of Goats Milk Cheese OR Blue Cheese
- 1 cup Jalapeños (seeds in or out)
- 5 tea spoons of Coarse Black Pepper
- 2 tea spoons of Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tea spoon Paprika
- 1/3 cup freshly cut Arugula OR freshly cut Basil
- After mixing the burger ingredients, cook on low to medium heat to cook the ground meats thoroughly, then raise temperature at end to better seal and fortify the structure.
- Do not worry about drying out the meat as if it was on a grill for closing the lid on your pan will keep the moisture where it belongs
- Place favourite cheese onto of burger in the last 1-2 mins of cook time, and pour in a very small amount of water onto the pan to allow the cheese to better melt because of the steam (thinly sliced applewood cheddar pictured here)
- Toast favourite bun in separate oven if possible (either with source of fat or not) and place with desired toppings and condiments